Orthodontic treatment is not just for teens. According to the American Association of Orthodontists, one in five orthodontic patients is over 21!
Many adults are choosing orthodontics now because they know how important it is to maintain good dental health, and they want to feel better about their appearance. You too can take advantage of the opportunity to receive orthodontic care!
Common Reasons Why Adults Consider Orthodontic Treatment
• A bad bite or malocclusion, which causes teeth to fit incorrectly.
• Teeth are crowded or there’s too much space in between, which can cause tooth decay or gum disease.
• Abnormal jaw pain or pressure caused by crooked teeth.
• Wanting a healthier mouth and more self-confidence.
Treatment Options For Adults
Many adults get discouraged from receiving orthodontic treatment just by the mere thought of having metal braces. However, we now have many options that are comfortable and can meet your needs. Here are different types of braces:
• Clear braces
• Ceramic braces
• Invisible braces
• Self-ligating braces
• Traditional braces
Adult Orthodontics Vs. Orthodontics For Children
The main difference between adult orthodontics and treating children or teens is that younger patients have jawbones that are still developing. Adults have fully developed jawbones, so there is the possibility that you’ll need orthognathic surgery in order to align your jawbone. Here are some other differences:
• Gum or bone loss (periodontal disease) – You’re more likely to experience gum recession or even bone loss as an adult. This is due to gingivitis or advanced periodontal disease. However, straighter teeth are less likely to get gum disease!
• Worn or missing teeth – Teeth can be worn down over time and move into different positions that can only be corrected with orthodontic care. Missing teeth can also cause existing teeth to move from their correct places which creates a bad bite and makes it more possible to get gum disease.
• Incomplete orthodontic treatment as a teen – There are many adults who received orthodontic treatment as a child or teen but never completed their treatment. As an adult, they can choose to get back on the path to straight teeth!
We know that adults, teens, and children all have different needs that required varying levels of attention and care. We’ll work together to make sure you get the appropriate treatments for your specific needs and that these are always met with understanding and respect.
Why Should You Consider Orthodontic Treatment?
• Straight teeth are healthy teeth! Teeth that are properly aligned are easier to floss and brush which helps prevent health problems.
• A straight smile builds confidence. Having straight teeth after completing orthodontic treatment can help increase your self-confidence which in turn helps you achieve a better quality of life. You’ll be able to smile without a second thought!
• Untreated conditions get worse. If you wait to receive necessary orthodontic treatment, it can create long-term health issues which will only cost you more in the end.
Do you want to learn more about the benefits of adult orthodontics? Contact our office to schedule an appointment! We’ll work with you to make sure your appointments are convenient for you.